Wonder Day 12.25.14 - Lindsey Henke


My journey into motherhood was not like others.  I should restate that. At first it was.  I was like many other first time moms growing into motherhood through counting down the months of pregnancy as my body bloomed, swelled, and swayed with my first child.  A perfect text book pregnancy and as my belly grew so did my love for the baby inside. I celebrated each new pregnancy milestone with excitement, worries, and wonder with my proud husband by my side. I spent nights and days wondering about our daughter's future and who she would be and worrying that as a new parent I would not live up to my own expectations of motherhood.  Looking back now I guess I did enter the first part of motherhood like most mothers.

Where my path into motherhood diverted from other mothers was the day I delivered my daughter at full term and she was born still and silent into my arms. My heart full of sorrow and my body shaking with pain as I could hear my soul break apart.  My hopes and dreams of becoming a mother shattered into a million little pieces on the floor that I feared would never be able to be put back together. That late December afternoon I held my first born and only child Nora's sweet cold little body for only moments against my warm chest but her 8 pound and 5 ounce being left an imprint on my heart that will live on, even though she never will.

Fast forward twenty two months and a new but anxious pregnancy later and here I am now rocking my seven month old daughter to sleep wondering how I got here.  



To this place where I get to love and cuddle this beautiful bundle of human being, my second daughter Zoe?  I can honestly say I am happy now with my family of four, even though one is forever missing.  But sometimes I wonder what if Nora would have lived? What kind of mother would I be now?  How would I be different?

You see, I wonder this because the mother I have become today is all due to the mother I never got to be to my eldest daughter.  When my Nora died I knew that if I ever got a second chance at being a mom again that I would want to be one that is mindfully present, fierce in her love for her children, and accepting of whoever my child becomes. 

That is the kind of mother I hope to be. 

That is the positive change I want to make in my life.

I want to live a life that both my daughters can be proud of.  I want to carry my grief over the loss of one daughter through my life and turn it into ever present acceptance and fierce love for my living child.  I aspire to do this every day and honestly I don't know the steps I take or will take to get there.  What I do know is I wake up every morning with gratitude that I get one more day in this life with my daughter and I use those moments to live fully and love deeply.  Then if I'm lucky enough I will wake up the next day and do my best to aspire to do it all over again, loving both of my daughters with a full and grateful heart. 

Lindsey Henke - her blog, Stillborn and Still Breathing. Founder and editor of Pregnancy After Loss Support. Writer, clinical social worker, wife, and most importantly a mother to two beautiful daughters. Lindsey is also a monthly contributor to Still Standing Magazine.


Image credit – Kerry Kresl Photography