Wonder Day 12.5.14 - Bill Youmans


I find this favorite picture of our family tent perched on the rocks that look over the big lake. I close my eyes and know that I can hold onto the picture, hear the waves, and smile when I remember this past summer when the tent was built securely on a platform to raise it ever so slightly from the ground. 

When constructing the base, friends teased me that my accumulation of encyclopedias may need to be recycled. I balked, but then paused and decided how to take these wonderful volumes and give them a renewed purpose. Take a look at one base of the tent. 


In years past, encyclopedias were about endless adventures. They were the coveted treasure in the living room, ready for school reports and summertime reading when the library was not available. Now they are less valuable to folks and you can go to garage sales and buy grocery bags of them for a $1 a bag. I buy them and then promise to read every page, but I get behind.

Still, I can’t throw them out. So, I took a bag of them to my tent site and deemed them a proper place. 

After many days using my tools, lumber, and books, the foundation of knowledge has taken on another meaning. Foundations are important and from time to time they should be altered, sifting through the details and making new exchanges so that newness is continued. How lovely to create in the spirit of play!

Image credit: Bill Youmans, MD