January 12, 2014

The first time I became a vegetarian, I had just gotten my first pet. He was a black cat named Romeo, because I had fallen instantly in love, and it was the most romantic name I could think of. Shortly after adopting Romeo, I was stopped in traffic on a highway, and there was a semi truck full of pigs stopped next to me. Their misery broke my heart. I didn't eat meat for seven years. But life happened, and I became disconnected from my compassion.

Prompted by an avalanche of family health problems, the documentary Forks over Knives inspired me to begin eating a whole-food, plant-based diet.  I am so fortunate that my husband is equally as excited to be thriving on an animal-free diet. I feel more compassionate, more environmentally aware, and happy to be setting a good example for our teenage son.

And once again, my affection for our two loving cats and our new little puppy is tied very closely to my desire to respect all animals. I can feel good about every meal I eat.

Submitted via email (wonderanewproject@gmail.com).