November 20, 2013




After years (over 2/3 my life) of restricting my food in one way or another - usually dieting and extreme dieting, I recently began re-feeding myself and have no restrictions on my diet.  While one would think that this is an easy change, it has been the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. 

I am getting support through multiple sources, including therapy, which helps immensely.  

What I realized is that I used food restriction as a control measure.  I would obsess over food, my diet, my weight, and therefore, didn't need to react to things happening in my life.  It was a distraction, a way to place blame when things were bad, a way to celebrate when things were good, a way for me to control my life and surroundings, and it was damaging.  

Our society tells us that in order to be healthy one must look a certain way. Because, of course, there are NO unhealthy skinny people!  If you are fat, you are lazy, unhealthy, ugly, and a burden to society.  I believed it of myself and of other people.  That makes me sad.  

I am learning to accept myself at my new size.  I am learning to see the beauty in everyone regardless of their size. I am noticing that there are things in my life that I have fully neglected and buried under my obsession with food and controlling my food.  I am learning that I have MAJOR feelings. This is not easy. But it is a good change and in the end, it is a healthy change. - emailed to Wonder Anew